This rare photograph was perhaps the first group
picture at the original Franklin School located
on Front (now Trent) and Grant Streets. The photograph
was taken shortly after the completion of the school,
circa 1889. When magnified the students are standing
amongst large rocks that were moved out of the way when
building. In the left lower corner, “Emil Guenther,
Architect,” is printed. Little did anyone pictured here
know that 20 years later this building would be used as
a make-shift jail during the Free Speech Fights.
Particular thanks to Bill Bronsch for this photograph.